When you are going to begin feeding your baby solid food, you need to be careful about what you are going to feed. You get many baby foods in the market but, they are all pre-made and preserved. This is the reason nutritionists say that it is better if a mother can feed the baby homemade food. They say that it proves to be much healthier even though the food available in the market is made with great care and is quality checked.
It might seem a lot of work to do to prepare special meals for your baby. Especially if you are a working woman, you would prefer picking up cans of ready food at the supermarket but, it is recommended that you give some time for your baby out of your busy schedule and prepare special food. You may prepare a stock of a week on the weekends and store it properly in air-tight containers to make it easier for you for the entire week.
Nutritionists say that home-made food will train the baby to adapt to natural foods faster, due to which they won't have a problem to adjust between food switches as they grow up. We need to train our babies to get used to all kinds of foods slowly and gradually - even the herbs and spices, and this can be done only if we give them natural food and not packaged foods.
Certified nutritionist, Jill Hillhouse says, "Helping your baby acquire a taste for wholesome, healthy food is the best way to ensure that he or she develops eating habits that will promote good health throughout life." She has explained how home-made baby food is the best for babies in her latest book "The Best Baby Food", where she also provides some easy-to-make recipes made from fresh ingredients, and provides nutritional information of the same.
What are the advantages of preparing home-made baby food?
- You will know what your baby is feeding on. The jars and cans in the market won't let you know about everything they put in the food.
- You will keep your baby away from preservatives. The food in the market is full of preservatives as it needs to be stocked for months together.
- Home-made food is generally much cheaper than packaged food.
- You can choose which fruits and vegetables you want to give your baby. The packaged foods will not be available in every flavour you want. BigBasket offers best quality fruits and vegetables right at your doorstep just on the click of a mouse. You won't even have to move out of your house to buy them for your babies.
- Your baby gets used to eating what is cooked for the rest of the family - the only difference being that the food for the baby will be in puree form.
- Your baby gets complete nutrition from home-made food. This is because packaged food is cooked at extremely high temperature to kill bacteria that is essential for long storage. But, this ultimately also kills the food's nutritional value.
So, basically packaged food serves just in the same way as fast food serves to adults. Packed with additives, preservatives and lack of nutritional value is not convenient for a baby to have regularly. You can rely on these packaged foods at times, when you do not have the time to prepare or when you are at an outing.
You can avail BigBasket coupon codes on DiscountMantra - India’s best online offers and coupons store, to get fruits and vegetables at great discounts so you can prepare tasty and economical nutritious baby food at home. You can also subscribe to the newsletters to get the latest offers and coupons from various online stores delivered to your inbox.