Christmas is almost here and with the festival comes celebrations, gifts, Christmas trees, jingles, prayers and the yummiest of it all - the Christmas fruit cake! Not only for the Christians but, even people from other castes wait for their Christian friends to bring Christmas fruit cake for them on this festival. If you have never baked one on your own, or if you failed at baking the yummiest Christmas cake, you need to check out the perfect recipe to help you bake an excellent one this time. You still have enough time to try your hands on one or two cakes before the festival arrives and become a perfect baker by the arrival of the big day!
Check out the recipe below. This cake is eggless. So, you can gift this cake to your vegan friends too and let them lose themselves into the wonderful fragrant aroma and the crumbly moist delicious taste of the cake.
Eggless Christmas Fruit Cake
Preparation time - 24 hours
Cooking time - 1 hour 45 minutes
Serves - 6 to 7
- Dry fruits (all chopped) - raisins, cashews, apricots, dates - 1/2 cup each
- Cherries (glazed) - 10 pieces
- Tutti fruity - 1/4 cup
- Citrus peels (chopped) - 1/4 cup
- Rum - 1 cup
- White flour - 1.5 cups
- Wheat flour - 3/4 cup
- Oil / melted butter - 1 cup
- Demerara sugar - 1.5 cups (Get it here)
- Soy milk - 1 cup (Get it here)
- Vinegar - 2 tbsp
- Baking soda - 1 tsp
- Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
- Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- Spices (ground and mixed) - cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, nutmeg - as per your choice
- Take a large bowl and mix all the chopped dry fruits, cherries, tutti fruity and citrus peels in it. Pour rum over it. Mix it well and let it soak covered for around 24 hours. Keep it in the refrigerator and keep stirring at intervals.
- After the dry fruits are soaked, you can start with the procedure of baking the cake. Grease a cake pan with oil or line it with butter paper if available and preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Sieve the white flour combined with wheat flour, baking powder and spice mix. Add the oil or butter and demerara sugar. Mix well. Add the soaked dry fruits and rum mixture in it. Stir and mix well.
- In another bowl, mix soy milk with vinegar and baking soda. Stir gently. The mixture will start frothing. Now, add this mixture to the prepared cake batter. Add the vanilla extract and mix well.
- Pour this mixture in the prepared cake pan and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour 45 minutes. You delicious Christmas fruit cake will be ready!
Some suggestions and tips
- The citrus peels and spices add a bitter and spicy taste to the cake, which would otherwise be sweet just like any other fruit cake. So, make sure you use these ingredients.
- You may add wine to the rum if you wish to. Instead of rum or wine, you can use apple juice or orange juice.
- Instead of combining both the flours, you can bake the cake completely out of only white flour or wheat flour too.
- You can use brown sugar or powdered sugar instead of demerara sugar. You can even replace the soy milk with nut milk or dairy milk.
- You can reserve some sliced cherries for topping the cake before or after baking, rather than using all of them in the mix.
- If you cook the cake in a microwave oven, it won't take so long. You will have to check for the cake to turn golden brown and be sure that the cake is done.
If you are worried about shopping for the long list of ingredients, you shouldn't with the great home delivery services available online. You can check out the amazing NaturesBasket offers available on all the ingredients that are required for this recipe. You can also get additional deals and discounts on your bills by shopping using coupons. All you have to do is visit DiscountMantra - India’s best online offers and coupons store and check for the latest NaturesBasket or Grofers coupons. You can also subscribe to the newsletters to get the latest offers and coupons from various online stores delivered to your inbox.