It is festive time in India. Diwali was here a few days back, then India celebrated Dev Diwali, Guru Nanak Jayanti and there are more festivals in line this year - , Eid, Christmas and New Year. People of every religion in India celebrate one or more of these festivals. With festivals, comes a time for get-togethers with friends and family. You might arrange for a dinner and invite your friends over. Everytime you might be wondering what new to cook. Since it is a festive season, we bring to you a few simple recipes that you can make for your next get-together to add a flavour of variation in your simple menu. Take a look.
Preparation time - 15 minutes ; Total time - 45 minutes; Serves - 6
- Fresh cranberries - 225 grams
- Apples - 2 (stemmed, cored and sliced)
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Vinegar - 50 grams
- Red onion (diced) - 1/2
- Raisins - 50 grams
- Orange juice - 1/2 cup
- Brown sugar - 1/2 cup
- Orange zest - 1 tbsp
- Powdered cinnamon - 1.5 tsp
- Powdered nutmeg - 1.5 tsp
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large saucepan. Put in onion and saute for about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add the cranberries, orange juice and orange zest and mix well for about 10 minutes.
- When the cranberries begin popping, add all the remaining ingredients and stir continuously until the liquid evaporates and the sauce begins to thicken. This will take around 10 minutes. Turn off the gas. Your delicious cranberry-apple chutney is ready!
- Let it cool. Place it in an air-tight container and refrigerate. You can preserve this chutney in the refrigerator for two weeks.
***Airtight Container required. Buy it here.
Red Curry Squash Soup
Preparation time - 1 hour; Total time - 2 hours; Serves - 8 to 10
- Butternut squash - 1 large sized (stemmed, seeded and cubed)
- Yam - 2 (roughly cut)
- Onion - 1 large (sliced)
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Red curry paste - 70 grams (readily available)
- Porcini powder - 50 grams (readily available)
- Unsweetened coconut milk - 750 grams
- Water - 1 litre
- Butter - 2 tbsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1 tsp
- Ginger - 1 inch piece (finely chopped)
***Blender required. Buy it here.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and ginger and saute over medium heat for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add the red curry paste and coconut milk and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add water, butter, porcini powder, salt, butternut squash and yams. Bring to a boil. Lower the flame and cook for around 40 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Turn off the gas and let it cool a little.
- Pour the mixture in a blender and blend well to make a puree. You can do this in batches.
- Now place the puree in another large pot and heat just before serving. You can preserve this soup in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Poached Pears in White Wine Sauce
Preparation time - 10 minutes; Total time - 50 minutes; Serves - 6
- Pears - 3 (halved, cored and peeled)
- White wine - 3/4 cup
- Orange juice - 3/4 cup
- Brandy - 1/4 cup
- Brown sugar - 6 tbsp
- Powdered cinnamon - 1 tsp
- Saffron - a pinch
***Oven required. Buy it here.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Meanwhile, combine white wine, orange juice, brandy, brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl properly. Place this mixture in a large saucepan and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to bring a sauce-like consistency.
- Place pears faced down in a baking dish. Pour the sauce over them and cook in the oven for half an hour. Remove pears from the oven.
- Place them in a dish and spoon the remaining sauce over them. Serve immediately or refrigerate overnight.
Make one or all of these recipes, and you will surely have your guests asking for more. Some of these ingredients will be hard to find in the market. But, with online grocery stores at your service, you don't need to worry. Online stores like Grofers and PepperTap easily deliver all these ingredients at your doorstep. And, you can even get discounts on your shopping bills if you shop using Grofers offers or PepperTap coupons, which you can avail at DiscountMantra - India’s best online offers and coupons store. You can also subscribe to the newsletters to get the latest offers and coupons from various online stores delivered to your inbox.